First the basic headline: Ex-slugger Canseco to make MMA debut. I suppose Jose could be doing this for any number of reasons right? Perhaps:
- He’ll use the proceeds to make a charitable donation
- He just couldn’t get rid of the itch for competition
- The purse for the fight is a lifetime supply of black mesh shirts.
But then I clicked the link, and to my surprise, the headline within the story reads: ‘Canseco Admits Needing Money’. Can you believe it? It really does appear that the age of innocence is over. A few fun facts about this fight:
- Canseco will be fighting 7-foot-2, 330-pound Hong Man Choi (who I’m fairly confident was between Don Flamenco and the 2nd Piston Honda on Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out).
- Canseco has 2 fights to his credit, celebrity boxing matches against ex-child star Danny Bonaduce and former Cardinal and Eagle Vai Sikahema. Canseco’s record in these fights? One loss (Sikahema) and one draw (Bonaduce).
You read the above point correctly, Jose Canseco, former AL MVP, fought the bass player of the Patridge Family to a draw in a boxing match.
I hope Jose has decent health insurance because roided out or not, I doubt Danny Bonaduce hits quite as hard as someone who is 7-foot-2. At least Jose is confident right?
“I have no idea if I can do it,” Canseco said Thursday night. “It’s a tough sport.”
Oh. Crap. Can’t wait to see the highlights though! Go get ’em Jose.